Here is one of many wonderful messages by Joel Beeke: “What the Puritans Would Say to Theological Teachers and Pastors Today.” Date: 1/13/2014
How different the “asperity” (asp – snake) pastors/theologians – prosperity ones are one kind – infesting the world.
The text of the lecture appears in the Puritan Reformed Journal, p. 183 ff.
1. Invest Precious Time in Prayer.
2. Depend Radically on the Holy Spirit.
3. Embrace the Thorns of affliction.
4. Cultivate Personal Holiness (Professionalism is resumé-driven).
5. Digest the Bible one verse at a Time.
6. Feel the momentous dignity of ministry.
7. Love the Triune God and His People.
The last two are not in the PDF.
8. Focus on Jesus Christ.
9. Love and romance your spouse.
This advice is also for all Christians.